Saturday, May 12, 2012

The hardest working man in show business...

The other night I was a volunteer at the Helpmann Academy's annual fundraiser shindig after having my work accepted to be in the silent auction. It was of course a roaring success with lots of people pitching in to help fund the likes of me in my artistic endeavours. I was lucky enough to have all three pieces sell in the silent auction- two stencil works and a hand coloured screenprint of Italian cycling maestro- rightly dubbed the King of Kings, Fausto Coppi...I will at some point write an actual post on him alone, such is my interest- maybe closer to Tour De France time, a race he won twice. It was a pleasure to meet the people who bought my work, being able to explain what it is that I do and have people show their appreciation. If in fact any of these people are reading this blog, once again I thank you for your custom and hope that you enjoy owning the works- They were made with a decent injection of the usual blood, sweat and tears. Stay tuned as more work is to come and if you ever want more, contact me and you can see what Ive been working on.
I have said to some friends already that it was weird seeing my work leaving without me. You get so used to putting paintings back in your car and taking them home that when you dont, it seems very strange. A little bit of separtaion anxiety, perhaps. With that said, I was very encouraged to see how happy the people who bought them were- I got a real kick out of it and I dare say it is an addictive feeling. I had a very positive experience participating in the event and will certainly be submitting work and volunteering next year. i would also encourage anyone else who thought about it this year but didnt do it to have a crack next year.The photos here are a bit sketchy, but as I only had my equally sketchy phone camera on me, it was the best i could manage. These are the three works that now are being enjoyed by their new owners.
This one was titled Verde Insieme, which in Italian (or at least my bodgy version of Italian) means Greens Together.
This one was the first to get a bid and the person who made the first bid ended up getting it. This one is titled Blue Green Blue, for obvious reasons...
This last one was the screenprint of Fausto Coppi, a hero of my Father and of all Italians at the time. Coppi is still recognized as a legend of the sport, with both of his Tour De France wins coming in the same year he won the Giro D' Italia, a feat rarely matched. For this reason, he is still known as the "King of Kings." As always watch this space as much more is to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment