Tuesday, April 9, 2013

How much wood would a wood chuck chuck?

So here I am back again, back for my final year of school after what was a long and busy break...some of you may or may not know I had my first solo show of stencil paintings which was an eye opener to say the least. When it came down to crunch time I all of a sudden realized what I had signed up for- when I first had the offer to do it, I was all casual but then as the date approached I found myself freaking out not knowing if my ass could cash the cheques my mouth had been writing...In the end, despite the ridiculous amount of work it took to get it there, I had a great opening and some really positive feedback as well as some sales... I am actually foolishly thinking of another show early next year, after I've graduated, of my mammoth oil paintings- all I need to do is find a space big enough... Now to new business, I started school again, six or so weeks ago and of course that means I've started the first of my last two painting subjects. The first one I have this semester is "current issues" and in my true fashion I've chosen a subject that is gigantic...There was a lot of interest in subjects like body image, the environment etc etc but I went for a subject that I have long had an interest in...My paintings look at the partition of Palestine. I wanted to evoke a sense of displacement, of isolation, of complexity and confusion, to give an idea of the conditions that people live under in places like Gaza. I recognised from the beginning that I would need to do some serious research on the matter, and so I have been reading everything I can get my hands on...I decided to return to a technique I explored last year with my painting "Atlas" and also with the "three Jewels" series, as it seemed perfect for what I wanted to get across. I have kept my pallet fairly minimal, using only Paynes Grey, White and Unbleached Titanium, as I didn't want people to immediately assume that because something had red on it therefore it's about death. These first three are progress images of the first of the new paintings- And these ones are progress of the newest one- all going well I should have more pics over the next two weeks of holidays, so ill do my best to get new ones up as soon as I can...

No comments:

Post a Comment